Dialogue Series - Accessibility
- GEO Data Working Group1
- 1. Group on Earth Observations (GEO)
The GEO Data Working Group has released new resources and is offering learning opportunities to support the adoption of open knowledge principles in the development of Earth observation tools and services, including in the GEO Work Programme. The GEO Programme Board has endorsed a new set of guidelines on how to apply the GEO Data Management Principles (GEO DMP). These principles cover the discovery, accessibility and usability of data, among other topics. They can be applied to the entire data management lifecycle, and are complimentary to the FAIR principles, which focus primarily on aspects of metadata, and the TRUST principles, which primarily focus on the curation and preservation of data and related resources, and CARE principles which focus on ethical issues related to data.
The new guidelines can be used to assess how well the GEO principles are being followed in practice. The guidelines provide an explanation of each principle, as well as advice on implementation, relevant standards, metrics for measuring adherence and resource implications.
A series of recorded webinars are available on each of the principles targeting all earth observation stakeholders, including data producers, technology providers, scientists, researchers, business developers, decision makers and policy makers.
In the dialogue series, Members of the Earth observation community discuss their experience implementing the principles, talk through how they tackled challenges and showcase the impact they realized as follow:
- Opening remarks - Marie-Françoise Voidrot - OGC 0:04
- Introducing GEO Data Management Principle 2 - Joan Maso - CREAF 7:10
- Moving Principles to Practice in Earth Observation Data Management - Gilberto Camara - INPE 17:55
- Umbrella Access Point for Copernicus and GEO data - Thanassis Drivas - NOA 37:17
- DEIMS-SDR and its implementation of the GEO Data Management Principles (Accessibility) 49:13
- CARE principles - James Rattling Leaf, Sr. - GEO Indigenous Alliance 1:03:43